Teaching Apprentices (TAs)

What is a teaching apprentice?

Teaching apprentices are selected for their scholarship and promise as teachers. Advancements to teaching associate and teaching fellow are made upon recommendation by the chair of the student’s home department

Teaching Assistant/ Associate/Fellow

  • Selected for their scholarship and promise as teachers
  • Primary duty is to assist in all aspects of instruction (tutoring, grading, advising, sectional teaching, sectional laboratory teaching, field work teaching, limited lecturing)
  • Duties are performed under the supervision of faculty “Instructor of Record” who are vested with the sole and final responsibility for course content, work assignments, performance evaluations and grading in the assigned course
  • May supervise teaching assignments in small sections of undergraduate courses or laboratories
  • May NOT be given sole responsibility for the content of a course, selection of assignments, planning of exams, or grading
  • May NOT be used exclusively as readers

Title: Teaching Assistant (title code 2310)

  • No experience necessary
  • 3.0 GPA
  • Enrolled in at least 12 units
  • 375 course enrollment
  • Not to exceed 12 quarters
  • Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP) requirement

Teaching Associate (title code 1506)

  • Master’s degree  or  has  completed  at  least  36  units  of  graduate coursework  (not  including courses  375  or  495)  
  • Has  at  least  one  academic  year  (three  academic  quarters  or  two  semesters)  of  UCLA  TA
  • experience  (or  approved  collegiate  teaching  experience  at  a  comparable  institution)
  • 3.0 GPA
  • Enrolled in at least 12 units    375 course enrollment
  • Not  to exceed 12 quarters
  • TOP requirement
  • Advancements to teaching associate are made upon recommendation by the chair of the department, based on performance evaluations by supervising faculty (which must be documented if advancement is withheld from an otherwise qualified student)

Teaching Fellow (title code 2300)

  • Advanced course assistants who perform the same duties as teaching associates. Formally advanced  to  doctoral  candidacy
  • Demonstrated  professional maturity  and  excellence  as  a  scholar  and  teacher
  • Two  academic  years  (six  academic  quarters  or  four  semesters)  of UCLA  TA  experience  (or  approved  teaching  experience  at  a  comparable  institution)
  • May provide  the  entire  instruction of  a  lower  division course under  the  general supervision of the regular faculty  member in charge  of the  course
  • 3.0 GPA
  • Enrolled in at least 12 units.
  • 375 course enrollment
  • Not  to exceed 12 quarters
  • TOP requirement
  • Advancements to teaching fellow are made upon recommendation by the chair of the department, based on performance evaluations by supervising faculty (which must be documented if advancement is withheld from an otherwise qualified student)

Teaching Apprentices supervise assignments in small discussion and lab sections of undergraduate courses.

  • Teaching Assistant (title code 2310)
  • Teaching Associate (title code 1506)
  • Teaching Fellow (title code 2300)

ASE Salary Scale: ASE Salary Scale

Range adjustments happen at the beginning of each October. Academic apprentice personnel are compensated at rates established by the University of California Office of the President. Student assistants who have previously served in academic apprentice positions may be reappointed or advanced to the titles for which they are qualified no later than two weeks prior to the effective date of their employment. No advancements can occur for a given quarter after the beginning of that quarter. Reappointments and advancements are not automatic.

For more information, please click here.

Health & Welfare

UCSHIP is a systemwide plan providing enhanced health benefits to all enrolled students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UCSHIP, but if you have comparable insurance and you do not want to keep UCSHIP as dual coverage, you must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline.  We have simplified the waiver process.

Please note, UCSHIP costs will be covered by hiring department for TAs that hold appointments at 25% or above.

For more information, please visit the UCLA Ashe Center website.


Fee Remissions: Graduate Students who are appointed as teaching apprentices may qualify for fee remission benefits.

To qualify for fee remissions (in-state resident tuition), teaching apprentice position needs to be a 25% working appointment (10 hours per week).  Teaching apprentice appointments of at least 45% time (18 hours a week) may also be eligible to receive nonresident tuition.  For positions of less than 10 hours a week, tuition is not covered. Note that TA positions do not cover MPH/DrPH professional fees, regardless of the appointment percentage.

Fee remissions cover the following assessment categories:

  • Health Insurance (100%).
  • Tuition (100%).
  • Student Services Fee (100%).
  • Qualified teaching apprentice appointments of at least 45% time for an entire academic quarter may also be eligible to receive nonresident tuition remission covered at 100%.

For information on the current 2020-2021 Remission Cost, please click here.

If you are an expectant Mother who work as a ASE currently on an extramural support that does not fund maternity leave. You may be eligible to apply for Childbirth Accommodation Funding.

Please see link for further information. 


In addition, please make sure to notify your current supervisor and our office to assist you through the process. 

This program is for registered UCLA students holding at least a 25% ASE appointment during the academic year and who have (a) qualified dependent(s).

An ASE who meets the standard eligibility requirements will be offered a reimbursement of up to $900 per quarter or $1,350 per semester for childcare costs during the academic year. Additionally, an ASE who meets the standard eligibility criteria for a summer session appointment can be reimbursed up to $900 for eligible expenses incurred during the summer. 

Please click below for further information. 


Students must petition in person at the Registrar’s Office for a change of classification from nonresident to resident status. All changes of status must be initiated prior to the first day of class for the term for which the student intends to be reclassified. California law requires that financial independence be included among the factors considered when students seek reclassification. Students who are financially dependent in the current and preceding calendar years will be considered California residents for reclassification purposes only if no factors exist which give evidence of their continuing residence in another state. Financial independence will not be considered for graduate students who are teaching assistants, research assistants, or teaching associates employed at 49 percent time or more.

FICA Exemption Students whoa re-enrolled half-time (six units during a given quarter; two units during the summer), and work less than 80% time are exempt from FICA withholdings. Nonresident aliens on F or J visas are exempt from FICA withholdings until they qualify as a US resident for tax purposes.

There are no paid holidays for academic apprentice personnel.

Academic Student Employees are eligible to receive pay while serving on jury duty. TAs are not eligible for pay while serving, which is often a reason to request postponement of service. It is the TA’s responsibility to seek an excuse from service. The University can do no more than assist in those cases by supply.

Parking Academic apprentice personnel are permitted to have preferred staff parking, provided they are appointed for at least 49% time. For more information, visit the Transportation Services website.

Retirement Academic apprentice personnel are exempt from the University of California Retirement System/Social Security coordinated plan. However, Medicare deductions and Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) Safe Harbor Contributions will occur for apprentices with aggregate appointments of greater than 50% time.

Academic student employees are appointed on a 9 month basis and are not eligible to accrue vacation or sick leave credit.

In most cases, TAs are appointed on an 11-month basis. Such appointments, when less than 50 percent time, are not eligible to accrue vacation or sick leave credit. TAs at 50 percent time or more appointed for twelve consecutive months accrue vacation but not sick leave. Accrued leave may be taken after six consecutive months of service.

TAs  are  eligible to  receive  checks  in  advance  of  TA  service  as short-term  interest-free  loans,  repaid  by  payroll deductions  from  TA compensation.  One-half of  the  loan is deducted  from  the  student’s second  paycheck  and  one- half from  the  third  paycheck.  To apply  for  a  TA  advance loan  check,  students  should  contact  their  departmental Student  Affairs  Officer  (SAO).  Students who have direct deposit  set  up  via  payroll  will  have  the  funds  direct  deposited  to their  account.   Students who do  not  have  direct  deposit  set  up need  to  pick  up  the  check in  person  at  1121  Murphy  Hall.  Allow five working days from the date it is requested.

Staff: An advance loan check will be requested by the Graduate Fellowships and Financial Services Office after receipt of a completed copy of an Authorization to Issue Advance Loan Check. Form is located on the following website: https://grad.ucla.edu/funding/working at-ucla/ta-advance-loan authorization/

Frequently Asked Questions

You will be paid on the 1st of every month.

Your check will be mailed to the address provided. Please make sure to log on your UCPath Portal to check your account.

To set up your direct deposit log on to your UCPath Dashboard.

TAs, as SafeHarbor participants contribute 7.5% of gross salary to the University of California Defined Contribution Plan in lieu of Social Security taxes, and are not eligible for membership in the University of California Retirement Plan.

Payments will automatically be deducted from your stipend/salary.

The deduction that comes out of your stipend is your benefit contribution. If you elect to join the UAW, the fee is 1.44% of gross pay for members.

Graduate financial support based solely on financial need is provided, in the form of loans, grants, and—on a limited basis—work-study employment, from the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. For more information, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at A-129J Murphy Hall, (310) 206-0400.

Graduate financial support based on merit is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships, and graduate student researcher positions. These awards are open to all graduate students—U.S. citizens, permanent residents, students granted deferred action under the government’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, and international students—who have demonstrated high academic achievement. For more information, refer to the Financial Support for Entering Graduate Students or Graduate Student Financial Support on the Graduate Division website and contact your departmental graduate affairs coordinator.

The deadline for graduate loans and work-study funding available through the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office is March 2. The deadline for entering graduate students to apply for other forms of support is December 15. Departments should be consulted for exceptions. The campus deadlines for enrolled graduate students to apply for fellowships vary by program. View the Graduate Student Financial Support booklet for specific dates. Consult your department for exceptions.

The Graduate Division allocates funding directly to graduate programs, which in turn select fellowship recipients through their faculty fellowship selection committees based on academic merit. Departments inform the Graduate Division of those students who have been chosen to receive awards for the next academic year, and the Graduate Division sends offers of support to those recipients. Graduate tuition, fee and nonresident tuition fellowships are credited directly to students’ BAR accounts, and graduate fellowship living allowances (stipends) are issued as direct deposits if the student is enrolled in Bruin Direct.  If not, the stipend is issued as a check and mailed to the address on file with the Registrar’s Office.

Extramural graduate funding originates from non-UCLA sources, such as federal agencies and private organizations. Most extramural graduate fellowships require an application submitted directly to the sponsoring organization. Applications for some extramural graduate fellowships are available in Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services in 1228 Murphy Hall.

The Graduate Division publishes an online database called Graduate and Postdoctoral Educational Support (GRAPES), which lists the more commonly sought graduate fellowships that are available from non-UCLA sources. In addition, Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services maintains a small library of reference materials on extramural graduate funding.

Graduate students may not hold two major awards at the same time. When a student receives extramural funding, the amount of supplementary UCLA support is usually subject to limits. Contact Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services in 1228 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1025, for details.

Each new and continuing doctoral student will be provided up to $1,000 total reimbursement that can be used, in whole or in part, at any time through the student’s seventh year in the doctoral program, as long as the student and the activities meet the eligibility requirements.

Graduate student fee and tuition awards will automatically apply toward registration and tuition fees. Graduate student fellowship payments are sent to students’ local mailing addresses, held for pickup, or direct-deposited one to two weeks before the start of the fall or spring term. Winter funds are disbursed on January 1, and may take about one week to be reimbursed. Monthly payments should arrive by the first day of the month. Questions regarding graduate fellowship check disbursement may be directed to Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services, 1228 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1025.

Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services at 1228 Murphy Hall will answer questions relating to BAR and disbursement of graduate award payments. BruinBill questions regarding Financial Aid awards (e.g., need-based grants) should be directed to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at A129J Murphy Hall, and questions regarding loans should be directed to the Student Loan Office at A227 Murphy Hall.

Yes. Using MyUCLA, you can review your BruinBill; your scheduled graduate financial aid, fellowships, remissions, and other awards; and the actual dates and amounts of your checks and direct deposits. In addition, you can check to see if you have holds on your account that are preventing the disbursement of your graduate support funds, and you can ensure that all required financial documents have been completed for the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and the Graduate Fellowships & Financial Services Office.

Graduate fellowship stipend income is taxed differently than most other types of income you may have encountered in the past. Amounts spent on fees, tuition, or required course expenses are not taxable. However, the portion of graduate fellowship stipend income you spend on items other than fees, tuition, and required course expenses will likely be considered taxable by the IRS. Graduate students who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents and who are also California residents (for tax purposes) do not have taxes withheld from their fellowship stipend checks. Nonetheless, these individuals may be required to make estimated quarterly tax payments and to report the income on their tax returns.

Foreign graduate students and those who live outside of California and file tax returns as California nonresidents will have state and/or federal taxes withheld directly from their checks.

Information about fellowship taxation is available in IRS Publication 970, “Tax Benefits for Education,” available for download from the IRS website. Another IRS publication available from the same website offers information on paying estimated tax when your residency status does not permit the tax to be withheld directly from your check: Publication 505, “Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.”

Students are advised to retain “Offer of Graduate Student Support” agreements, fellowship and traineeship offer letters, BruinBill monthly statements, payroll wage stubs, and other documents and receipts related to graduate fellowship stipends and course expenses.

View Tax Information and Forms for UCLA Award Recipients information about UCLA fellowship tax withholding and reporting.

Yes, TA title series are representative by the UAW Local 2865 as their collective bargaining representative. Please visit UAW website for further information.


View detailed dates and deadlines for each term of the current academic year.

Official UCLA policies and procedures for the appointments of graduate students to all academic personnel titles.

For more information, please click here.

Finding A Mentor

Appointments for teaching apprentice training is made to a specific faculty member or members in an academic department or research unit. In order to help identify an appropriate faculty member, you may wish to access the specific center websites and review the staff and faculty directory.

Please visit and review the current research at Psychiatry and the Neurosciences at UCLA